Patrick A. Meere, M.D., C.M.
Patrick A. Meere, MDCM is a Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, NYU School of Medicine, the Director of Advanced Arthoplasty Research Laboratory and the Co-Director of the Robotics Center in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the NYU Langone Medical Center. His research interests include smart implant technology, robotic/haptic/computer assisted surgery, sensor-assisted instrumentation and minimally invasive surgery of the knee and the hip. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and a member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS). He is on the executive board of the International Society for Computer Assisted Orthopedic Surgery (CAOS) and a member of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty (ISTA). He has authored numerous publications, book chapters and video presentations.
- Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
- Fellowship Trained in Adult Total Joint Reconstructive Orthopaedic Surgery
Undergraduate: Physics (1983), McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Medical School: M.D., C.M. (1988), McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery (1993), McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Fellowship: Arthritis and Adult Reconstructive Orthopaedic Surgery (1995), Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute, New York, New York
- Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU School of Medicine, New York, New York
- Chief Ortho, Adult Reconstructive Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Chairman, Quality Assurance Committee, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU-HJD ( – 2005)
- Preceptor, Adult Reconstructive Fellowship Program
- Patrick A. Meere founder and co-director of the Advanced Arthroplasty Research Center at the NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases (2012). The center focuses on pioneering work in pressure mapping technology allowing embedded sensors to improve the accuracy of balancing of joint replacements thus heralding the era of Smart Implant Technology with anticipated improved functionality and patient satisfaction.
- Smart Implant Technology:
Development of emerging new technology using miniaturized chip technology in a pressure-based knee and hip balancing and alignment surgical instrumentation. This technology aims at creating the first wave of smart implants, which should provide critical in-vivo clinical outcomes data for registries and future implant designs.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery:
Development and refinement of novel surgical approaches to hip and knee arthroplasty surgery: Northern Approach to the hip, modified subvastus approach to the knee, MIS mini posterior approach to the hip.
- Computer Assisted Navigation:
Development and clinical implementation and validation of infra-red based Computer Assisted Surgery of the knee and the hip.
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- International Society for Computer Assisted Orthopedic Surgery
- Walker PS, Meere PA, Bell CP. Effects of surgical variables in balancing of total knee replacements using an instrumented tibial trial. Knee. 2014 Jan;21(1):156-61.
- Bell CP, Walker PS, Kummer F, Meere PA. Accuracy and Reproducibility of Instrumented Tibial Trial for Ligament Balancing in Total Knee Replacement, Bone Joint J 2013 vol. 95-B no. SUPP 34 236
- Elson L, Gutske KA, Golladay G, Roche M, Meere PA, Anderson C. Ensuring a Stable Total Knee Arthroplasty: Sensor-Guided Techniques Used to Quantify Sagittal Plane Balance. Bone Joint J 2013 vol. 95-B no. SUPP 34 508
- Schwarzkopf R, Hadley S, Abbasi M, Meere PA. Computer-assisted surgery patterns of ligamentous deformity of the knee: a clinical and cadaveric study. J Knee Surg. 2013 Aug;26(4):233-8.. Epub 2013 Jan 2.
- Meere PA, Bell C, Walker PS. Surgical Algorithms for TKR Balancing Using a Load Sensing Tibial Tray. Podium Presentation, ISTA 2012 Meeting
- Roche M, Meere PA, Golladay, GJ. Utilization of Sensors during Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA) to Define Sagittal Plane Kinetics. AAHKS 2012 Annual Meeting
- Walker PS, Meere PA, Bell CP. The Importance of 2mm and 2 degrees in Total Knee Balancing. Bone Joint J 2013 vol. 95-B no. SUPP 34 193. ISTA 2012 Meeting
- Bell C, Walker PS, Meere PA. Surgical Algorithms for TKR Balancing Using a Load Sensing Tibial Tray. Richard Laskin Award Paper at Hospital for Special Surgery Annual Winter TKA Conference, Dec 2012
- Alvarado C, Meere PA. The Northern Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty: Surgical technique & a single surgeon prospective case series. European Hip Society 10th Congress 2012 Milano
- Schwarzkopf R, Snir N, Meere PA. Incidence of Patella Clunk Syndrome In a Fixed Versus Mobile Bearing Posterior-Stabilized Total Knee Arthroplasty, Podium Presentation, AAOS 2014, New Orleans
- Maffei D, Mel E, Adler E, Meere PA, Walker PW The Effect Of Software Guided Instruction On The Rehabilitation of TKA Patients Poster 2009 AAOS Annual Meeting
- Kummer F, Walker PS, Meere PA, Bell C. Calibration Tests of OrthoSensor Trial Tibial Device. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases, March 2013
- Meere PA. The Use of Pressure Sensor Trial Liners Allowing Implant Salvage in a TKR Revision Case, Advanced Arthroplasty Research Center, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases, submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty May 2013
- Meere PA, Walker PS, Bell CP, Development of Method for Balancing of Total Knees Using an Instrumented Trial Liner. Poster ORS 2013
- Bell CP, Walker PS, Kummer F, Meere PA. Accuracy and Reproducibility of Instrumented Tibial Tray for Ligament Balancing in Total Knee Replacement. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases, May 2013
- Amanatullah DF, Di Cesare PE, Meere PA, Pereira GC. Identification of the landmark registration safe zones during total knee arthroplasty using an imageless navigation system.J Arthroplasty. 2013 Jun;28(6):938-42. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2012.12.013. Epub 2013 Apr 6.
- Sathappan SS, Wee J, Ginat D, Teicher M, Meere P, Di Cesare PE. Total hip arthroplasty in above-knee amputees: a case report. Am J Orthop 2011 Feb;40(2):E17-Review
- Fajardo M, Collins J, Landa J, Adler E, Meere P, Di Cesare PE. Effect of a perioperative intra-articular injection on pain control and early range of motion following bilateral TKA. Orthopedics. 2011 May 18;34(5):354.
- Sathappan SS, Wee J, Ginat D, Meere P. Massive wear and metallosis of an Acetabular Cup System presenting as pseudodislocation. Orthopedics. 2009 Jun;32(6):449.
- Jeong GK, Pettrone SK, Liporace FA, Meere PA..”Floating total knee”: ipsilateral periprosthetic fractures of the distal femur and proximal tibia after total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2006 Jan;21(1):138-40.
- Pastores GM, Meere PA. Musculoskeletal complications associated with lysosomal storage disorders: Gaucher disease and Hurler-Scheie syndrome (mucopolysaccharidosis type I). Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005 Jan;17(1):70-8. Review.
- Shin SS, Della Valle CJ, Ong BC, Meere PA. A simple method for construction of an articulating antibiotic-loaded cement spacer. J Arthroplasty. 2002 Sep;17(6):785-7.
- Alvarado C, Meere PA, Slover J, Feldman D. Total Hip Replacement in Patients with Hereditary Sensory and Autonomic Neuropathy Type III/IV. Submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty May 2012
Ongoing Research Projects / Submitted Abstracts:
- Meere PA. The Use of Pressure Sensor Trial Liners Allowing Implant Salvage in a TKR Revision Case. submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty
- Meere P, Bell C, Walker PS. Biomechanical Comparative Analysis of the Effectiveness of Various Ligamentoplasty Techniques applied to the Knee Medial Collateral Ligament to Achieve Optimal Coronal Balance in a Knee Arthroplasty Joint. Advanced Arthroplasty Research Center, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Meere P, Bell C, Walker PS. Clinical Effectiveness of the Use of Tibial Pressure Analysis as a Tensiometer of Knee Collateral Ligaments Balance in Total Knee Arthroplasty Surgery. Advanced Arthroplasty Research Center, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases
Reviews, Books and book Chapters:
- “The Adult Hip” Editors: Callahan J, Rosenberg A, Rubash H. Chapter : “Hip fractures treated by arthroplasty”. Meere PA, DiCesare PE, Zuckerman JD. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006
- “Orthopaedics: A Comprehensive Study Guide”, Editors: Spivak JM , Zuckerman JD. Chapter: “Adult Reconstructive Sugery: Hip And Knee”. Meere PA, DiCesare PE, Zuckerman JD. McGraw-Hill, 1999. Page 7/9
- “Video Atlas of Orthopaedics” Editors: Zuckerman JD, Koval K. Chapter: “High Tibial Osteotomy”. Meere PA. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003
Video Scientific Exhibits:
- Meere PA, Alvarado C, Thompson S. The Northern Approach for Hip Arthroplasty. Scientific Video Exhibit, AAOS Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2011