Dr. Meere has a strong commitment to innovative research. His primary field of interest lies in the integration of existing and pioneering electronic technology to the field of knee replacement biomechanical science. His background in physics enables him to bridge the gap between the biomechanics and clinical medicine. He serves as a senior consultant on various boards, including the Board of Governors of the Arthritis Foundation (NE) and on the Scientific Advisory Board of OrthoSensor, Inc.
Smart Implants Technology is an emerging new field that utilizes various miniaturized sensors and accelerometers embedded in the liner or housing of implantable devices and provide immediate biomechanical feedback at the time of surgical instrumentation, thus allowing for optimized knee and hip balancing and alignment. This technology will lead to the first generation of smart implants that can provide critical in-vivo clinical outcomes data for registries and future implant designs.
Until now Image-based Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) has relied on pre-operative imaging to match a patient’s virtual anatomy as obtained from a CAT scan to the patient’s actual joint at the time of surgery. Imageless CAS has simplified the process by relying on trackers pinned on the bone to enhance the Computer Assisted Navigation from a purely passive map to a kinematic tracking tool, providing live data about mechanical axes and ligamentous laxity. Dr. Meere has been an early adopter and developer of the field of navigation, publishing reports on the concept of digital signatures (tracings) associated with specific ligamentous or alignment pathologies. Understanding these signatures enhances the ability to create functional algorithms to rapidly and consistently achieve soft tissue balancing at the time of surgery.
Over the last decade Dr. Meere has been involved in the development and refinement of novel surgical approaches to hip and knee arthroplasty surgery. Examples of his endeavors include the modified subvastus approach to the knee and the Northern Approach to the hip, which was published as a peer-review instructional video.
All the above improvements need large-scale validation to prove their efficacy. This can best be done through registry data collection on a large scale. Dr. Meere is an active participant in the American Joint Replacement Registry project. He is additionally also involved as a developer of Analytics software to collect the operative data obtained by the sensor technology cited above. Matching intra-operative innovations with quantifiable functional and patient satisfaction improvement is critically necessary for productive research.
Dr. Meere is the founder and co-director of the Advanced Arthroplasty Research Laboratory at the NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases. In collaboration with Professor Peter S. Walker, the illustrious knee implant designer he pursues the research themes discussed above. He is assisted in this task by a dedicated group of biomechanical engineers, bio-molecular scientists, and research coordinators.
- Walker PS, Meere PA, Bell CP. Effects of surgical variables in balancing of total knee replacements using an instrumented tibial trial. Knee. 2014 Jan;21(1):156-61.
- Bell CP, Walker PS, Kummer F, Meere PA. Accuracy and Reproducibility of Instrumented Tibial Trial for Ligament Balancing in Total Knee Replacement, Bone Joint J 2013 vol. 95-B no. SUPP 34 236
- Elson L, Gutske KA, Golladay G, Roche M, Meere PA, Anderson C. Ensuring a Stable Total Knee Arthroplasty: Sensor-Guided Techniques Used to Quantify Sagittal Plane Balance. Bone Joint J 2013 vol. 95-B no. SUPP 34 508
- Schwarzkopf R, Hadley S, Abbasi M, Meere PA. Computer-assisted surgery patterns of ligamentous deformity of the knee: a clinical and cadaveric study. J Knee Surg. 2013 Aug;26(4):233-8. Epub 2013 Jan 2.
- Meere PA, Bell C, Walker PS. Surgical Algorithms for TKR Balancing Using a Load Sensing Tibial Tray. Podium Presentation, ISTA 2012 Meeting
- Roche M, Meere PA, Golladay, GJ. Utilization of Sensors during Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA) to Define Sagittal Plane Kinetics. AAHKS 2012 Annual Meeting
- Walker PS, Meere PA, Bell CP. The Importance of 2mm and 2 degrees in Total Knee Balancing. Bone Joint J 2013 vol. 95-B no. SUPP 34 193. ISTA 2012 Meeting
- Bell C, Walker PS, Meere PA. Surgical Algorithms for TKR Balancing Using a Load Sensing Tibial Tray. Richard Laskin Award Paper at Hospital for Special Surgery Annual Winter TKA Conference, Dec 2012
- Alvarado C, Meere PA. The Northern Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty: Surgical technique & a single surgeon prospective case series. European Hip Society 10th Congress 2012 Milano
- Schwarzkopf R, Snir N, Meere PA. Incidence of Patella Clunk Syndrome In a Fixed Versus Mobile Bearing Posterior-Stabilized Total Knee Arthroplasty, Podium Presentation, AAOS 2014, New Orleans
- Maffei D, Mel E, Adler E, Meere PA, Walker PW The Effect Of Software Guided Instruction On The Rehabilitation of TKA Patients Poster 2009 AAOS Annual Meeting
- Kummer F, Walker PS, Meere PA, Bell C. Calibration Tests of OrthoSensor Trial Tibial Device. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases, March 2013
- Meere PA. The Use of Pressure Sensor Trial Liners Allowing Implant Salvage in a TKR Revision Case, Advanced Arthroplasty Research Center, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases, submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty May 2013
- Meere PA, Walker PS, Bell CP, Development of Method for Balancing of Total Knees Using an Instrumented Trial Liner. Poster ORS 2013
- Bell CP, Walker PS, Kummer F, Meere PA. Accuracy and Reproducibility of Instrumented Tibial Tray for Ligament Balancing in Total Knee Replacement. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases, May 2013
- Amanatullah DF, Di Cesare PE, Meere PA, Pereira GC. Identification of the landmark registration safe zones during total knee arthroplasty using an imageless navigation system. J Arthroplasty. 2013 Jun; 28 (6):938-42. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2012.12.013. Epub 2013 Apr 6.
- Sathappan SS, Wee J, Ginat D, Teicher M, Meere P, Di Cesare PE. Total hip arthroplasty in above-knee amputees: a case report. Am J Orthop 2011 Feb;40(2):E17-Review
- Fajardo M, Collins J, Landa J, Adler E, Meere P, Di Cesare PE. Effect of a perioperative intra-articular injection on pain control and early range of motion following bilateral TKA. Orthopedics. 2011 May 18;34(5):354.
- Sathappan SS, Wee J, Ginat D, Meere P. Massive wear and metallosis of an Acetabular Cup System presenting as pseudodislocation. Orthopedics. 2009 Jun;32(6):449.
- Jeong GK, Pettrone SK, Liporace FA, Meere PA..”Floating total knee”: ipsilateral periprosthetic fractures of the distal femur and proximal tibia after total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2006 Jan;21(1):138-40.
- Pastores GM, Meere PA. Musculoskeletal complications associated with lysosomal storage disorders: Gaucher disease and Hurler-Scheie syndrome (mucopolysaccharidosis type I). Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005 Jan;17(1):70-8. Review.
- Shin SS, Della Valle CJ, Ong BC, Meere PA. A simple method for construction of an articulating antibiotic-loaded cement spacer. J Arthroplasty. 2002 Sep;17(6):785-7.
- Alvarado C, Meere PA, Slover J, Feldman D. Total Hip Replacement in Patients with Hereditary Sensory and Autonomic Neuropathy Type III/IV. Submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty May 2012
- Meere PA. The Use of Pressure Sensor Trial Liners Allowing Implant Salvage in a TKR Revision Case. Submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty
- Meere P, Bell C, Walker PS. Biomechanical Comparative Analysis of the Effectiveness of Various Ligamentoplasty Techniques applied to the Knee Medial Collateral Ligament to Achieve Optimal Coronal Balance in a Knee Arthroplasty Joint. Advanced Arthroplasty Research Center, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Meere P, Bell C, Walker PS. Clinical Effectiveness of the Use of Tibial Pressure Analysis as a Tensiometer of Knee Collateral Ligaments Balance in Total Knee Arthroplasty Surgery. Advanced Arthroplasty Research Center, NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases
- “The Adult Hip” Editors: Callahan J, Rosenberg A, Rubash H. Chapter: “Hip fractures treated by arthroplasty”. Meere PA, DiCesare PE, Zuckerman JD. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006
- “Orthopaedics: A Comprehensive Study Guide”, Editors: Spivak JM , Zuckerman JD. Chapter: “Adult Reconstructive Sugery: Hip And Knee”. Meere PA, DiCesare PE, Zuckerman JD. McGraw-Hill, 1999. Page 7/9
- “Video Atlas of Orthopaedics” Editors: Zuckerman JD, Koval K. Chapter: “High Tibial Osteotomy”. Meere PA. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003
- Meere PA, Alvarado C, Thompson S. The Northern Approach for Hip Arthroplasty. Scientific Video Exhibit, AAOS Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2011